Why I Still Like Tucker Carlson, Even as I Disagree With Him on Ukraine


   Tucker Carlson is entertaining, and almost as much of a pompous blowhard as was Bill O'Reilly, who he replaced in Fox News Channel's 8:00 PM primetime slot. Being a pompous blowhard seems to be a prerequisite of having high ratings on cable news. That's why I don't hold it against him. In fact, I appreciate his rather pompous take on the many issues that I agree with him on, though I occasionally roll my eyes. My point is that if he wasn't expressing popular points of view, he wouldn't have such high ratings. It's worth noting that in today's America, where speaking your political opinion can cost you your job, someone who says what you are thinking in such a blunt way has a natural attraction.

   One issue I disagree with him on is his position about Ukraine. He seems dead set against the US doing anything to support Ukraine's resistance to a Russian invasion, saying that we are risking war with Russia. I respect his opinion, but have an issue with both his presentation of it, and how some who oppose his opinion present it. He's quick to highlight those who differ from his opinion as calling him "a tool of Russia/Putin," but at the same time, he calls those who support defending Ukraine "war mongers." 

   I suppose I'll have to wade into the US Ukraine policy to explain my disagreement with Mr. Carlson, but I'll try to limit my personal opinion, because I just don't know enough to be well informed. What I do know is that geopolitically, the US is allied with nations that run the gamut, regarding personal freedom and democratic government. History holds many examples of allies that were once oppressive regimes adopting reforms that allowed greater personal freedoms as well as democratic political reforms. Taiwan is an example, as well as South Korea, Germany, and many others. The US has also had many missteps in it's attempts to export "freedom and democracy," so the debate over US policy in Ukraine has merits on both sides.

   Mr. Carlson doesn't seem to be a tool of Putin, to me. What it looks like to my eye is that he has picked a point of view, and has to push it, or risk looking like a "flip flopper." His flaw looks to be one of pride, and perhaps it is his true conviction. What is lost is the chance for him to have any guests on his show who can debate the issue's nuance, and various pros and cons. It's partly a function of how his show is set up. It's an opinion show, not a news show, and he's in charge of what opinions are heard. 

   I still like him, because I've watched him on TV for decades, since he was a bow-tie wearing panelist on "The McLaughlin Group." McLaughlin was another pompous blowhard that I enjoyed listening to. I only wish that his show was more like McLaughlin's, with a bunch of people expressing their opinions. Of course, it's a different media world today, and Mr. Carlson is in the catbird seat of cable news. He has no need to engage in any debate that undermines his opinion.

   I will continue to watch his show, and roll my eyes occasionally, sometimes even when I agree with him. I enjoy hearing his take on so many political issues that I agree with him on, and I also find out news from his show, occasionally. He reports and discusses stories that many liberal media outlets don't cover, which is a pretty big thing. In fact, it outweighs his pomposity, and the stuff that I disagree with that he says. I don't agree with his take on Ukraine, but that's not the only thing. It's just the only one I felt the need to write a column about, because it's a long-term issue, and actually involves China and the entire global community. I find his one-sided approach to it a weakness of his show. 

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Biden Record, and the Democrats Who Supported It, Pt. 4: How Biden Blew Up the Economy With Inflation

The Biden Debacle Part II

The Bogus Charges Against Pres. Trump, Part IV